Formed in 1997, the Australian Nuclear Free Alliance (formerly the Alliance Against Uranium) brings together Aboriginal people and relevant NGOs concerned about existing or proposed nuclear developments in Australia, particularly on Aboriginal homelands.
The Alliance holds an annual meeting which provides an important forum for sharing of knowledge, skills and experience. Annual meetings elect a national committee which oversees the work of the Alliance for the following 12 months. A majority of the Committee members are Aboriginal people.
The Alliance helped to build the successful campaign to stop the Jabiluka uranium mine in the Northern Territory, the successful campaign against a proposed national nuclear waste dump in South Australia, and it has been involved in many other campaigns. Recent initiatives include:
- challenging the pervasive racism of the uranium mining industry;
- public education work highlighting the unsustainable impact of the nuclear industry on dwindling water resources;
- an educational poster series covering issues from radiation and health to nuclear waste;
- submissions to government inquiries and assessment processes; and
- challenging the role and legitimacy of the Australian Uranium Association’s ‘Indigenous Dialogue Group’.
The successful Alliance model has had ‘spin-offs’ such as the creation of a Western Australian Nuclear Free Alliance.
The most recent Alliance meeting (2011) was attended by representatives of the following Aboriginal and Indigenous Nations and other organisations: Arabunna, Arrernte (central and eastern), Kadyede, Kokatha/Anterkirinya, Kokatha/Mirning, Kokatha/Narrangar, Larrakia, Mirarr, Navajo, Wajarri Yamatji, Warumungu, Warlmanpa, Warlpiri, Whagjuk/Yuet, Wilman/Bibulman, Gundjeihmi Aboriginal Corporation, Arid Lands Environment Centre, Australian Conservation Foundation, Beyond Nuclear Initiative, Choose Nuclear Free, Conservation Council WA, Environment Centre NT, Environmental Defenders Office (NT), French Network for a Nuclear Phase Out, Friends of the Earth (Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane), Medical Association for Prevention of War, Mundatharra Aboriginal Corporation, National Tertiary Education Union (NSW), Public Health Association of Australia, Western Australian Nuclear Free Alliance.
- Australian Nuclear Free Alliance www.anfa.org.au
- ANFA youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ANFAonline
- Western Australian Nuclear Free Alliance nuclearfree.wordpress.com
Below: Alliance co-chair Peter Watts addressing the Global Conference for a Nuclear Power Free World, Japan
Below: Della Rae Morrison speaking at an Indigo Girls concert.
[This webpage last updated July 2012]